If your website is responsive – this message is not for you. You may go grab a cup of coffee and pat yourself on the back for a job well done.
For the rest of you that don’t have a responsive website (because you haven’t updated your website in over 2 years), Google has been penalizing you and that means you haven’t been receiving as much traffic as you should be. Here’s a quick blurb from Google’s Webmaster blog from April 2015:
Starting April 21, we will be expanding our use of mobile-friendliness as a ranking signal. This change will affect mobile searches in all languages worldwide and will have a significant impact in our search results. Consequently, users will find it easier to get relevant, high quality search results that are optimized for their devices.
I shouldn’t have to stress the importance of playing nice with Google, but here’s a quick breakdown of why having a responsive website is REALLY FREAKING IMPORTANT! 🙂
- Google penalizes non-responsive websites. Which means lower rankings.
- Traffic to non-responsive websites has a higher “bounce-rate”.
- Lower rankings means less traffic.
- Less traffic means fewer prospects to connect with.
- Fewer prospects means less potential revenue.
- Less revenue means less potential profit.
And yes, I know that websites are expensive, but losing out on potential revenue is also very expensive.